What We Believe
We believe in God
- We believe that God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things (Genesis 1:1, Acts 17:28, Hebrews 11:3)
- We believe that God is revealed in scripture as Trinity: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 9:6, Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14).
- We believe that God took on human flesh (Philippians 2:6-8, John 14:8-9), was born to the virgin Mary (Isaiah 7:14), came in order to save people (Matthew 1:21, John 3:16).
- We believe Jesus was at the same time fully divine and fully human.
We believe in the Bible
- We believe that the Bible is God's word (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
- We believe that the Bible is alive and can positively transform lives today (Hebrews 4:12).
- We're convinced that the Bible is historically accurate (Luke 1:1-4) and that most modern translations are true to the earliest copies of the original writings. We use many different translations of the Bible, but we'd especially recommend the NIV, the NASB, the ESV and the NKJV.
We believe in people
- We believe that all people are created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27), and therefore are distinct from animals.
- We believe that shortly after creation mankind rebelled against God (Genesis 3:1-7) and that as a result of this fall there is death, sickness and all sorts of suffering in our world (Romans 5:12).
- We believe that all people are sinners and need to be saved (Romans 3:23).
- We believe that without being in right relationship with God all people are under God's judgment and Satan's dominion and are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-3).
- We believe that God loves all people and longs for them to be saved (John 3:16, 1 Timothy 2:4).
- We believe that God has a unique purpose and plan for every person who has ever lived (Psalm 139:16).
- We believe that all our gifts, talents and abilities are from God (1 Peter 4:10).
We believe in the church
- We understand that the church is made up of people from different age groups, backgrounds and cultures (Revelation 7:9), who are united because of Jesus being their Saviour (Ephesians 2:12-19).
- "There's nothing as un-Christian as a lone Christian." (John Wesley)
- We understand that what makes a church authentically a church has nothing to do with its style of worship or denomination, but rather has everything to do with people's genuine experience of salvation, its accurate convictions about God and its commitment to scripture as the basis of church life and believing.
- "It is for the Bible to form and reform the church... it is for the church to keep and keep to the Bible." (J. I. Packer)
- We believe that Jesus is successfully building His church today (Matthew 16:18), and therefore we believe that it's natural for each individual congregation to grow.
- "Every year, 27 million people profess faith in Christ as Saviour for the first time." (Source: "World Christian Trends" by David B. Barrett and Todd M. Johnson)
- We believe that God desires for His church to be the greatest thing on planet earth (Daniel 2:35).
- We believe that it's through the church that God's blessing will spread to all people (Matthew 28:18-20, Genesis 12:3).
We believe in the gifts of the Spirit
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer (Romans 8:9).
- We believe that the baptism with the Holy Spirit is typically a separate experience from a person's conversion (Acts 2:1-4, Acts 8:14-20, Acts 9:17-18, Acts 10:44-48, Acts 19:2-7).
- We believe that the Holy Spirit comes to empower us to witness (Acts 1:8), to see miracles like Jesus did (John 14:11-13) and to operate in supernatural gifts (1 Corinthians 12:8-10)
- "The miracle realm is man's natural realm. He is by creation the companion of the miracle-working God." (John G. Lake)
- These are just some of the exciting truths that have transformed our lives.
- If you'd like to become a member of Destiny Church you'd be welcome to join us on our "According to the Pattern" course which unpacks many of these truths and investigates many other great themes in the Bible.